What is it?
"Extended Copyediting" is our premium in-house copyediting service offered to authors in cases where manuscripts require more extensive copyediting for English language (e.g., manuscripts written by non-native English speakers). Herein, our copyeditors perform more in-depth copyediting on manuscripts to resolve all language issues and improve readability and clarity of the manuscript.
In addition to extended copyediting, with this service, copyeditors will also verify and confirm all references for you using our proprietary RefCheck software, minimizing your effort in the production process while delivering a well-written end product that meets the journal's standards.
Do I require Extended Copyediting?
During the peer-review stage, a reviewer or editor may make language improvement a condition for acceptance, in which case, authors can either:
(1) have their manuscript professionally copyedited elsewhere and provide a language editing certificate as proof (within 7 calendar days), or
(2) agree to opt for the Extended Copyediting service offered by JMIR Publications, following which their manuscript will be accepted. The authors are then required to pay for the Extended Copyediting service along with APF payment/checkout.
(1) All authors who wish to have more extensive copyediting done on their manuscript, even if acceptance is not contingent on it, can choose to avail the Extended Copyediting service.
(2) The Copyediting team may also contact authors during the preproduction check to recommend and offer the Extended Copyediting service, if they notice that a manuscript requires extensive editing for language and grammar.
Why should I choose Extended Copyediting?
This service is especially meant to cater to manuscripts written by authors with English as a second language (ESL), as our copyeditors have extensive experience working with ESL authors and ensuring their intended meaning is conveyed accurately, while conforming to the journal's guidelines. As such, we encourage authors to use this service, if suitable.
The main advantages of selecting our Extended Copyediting service over external language editing services are that
(1) your JMIR copyeditor will verify and confirm all references for you using our proprietary RefCheck software;
(2) your JMIR copyeditor will guarantee that the language and formatting of your manuscript meets the journal's standards;
(3) your JMIR copyeditor will collaborate with you to ensure your intended meaning is accurately conveyed;
(4) the service fee is on par with the fee of external language editing services; and
(5) author effort is minimized in the production process while your copyeditor delivers a well-written manuscript.
Payment and processing
We charge a special flat fee of US $500 for the Extended Copyediting Service (for manuscripts up to 10,000 words; see details here).
- To pay for Extended Copyediting along with the APF:
Payment for this service can be made by clicking into your APF invoice -> clicking "Modify items" -> changing the item number for "Extended Copyediting" to 1 (see related articles below for modifying invoice items). Following this, the amount for this Extended Copyediting service will be reflected in your APF invoice, and you can pay the total amount.
- To pay for Extended Copyediting after the APF is paid/waived/redeemed:
Log into your JMIR account and click on "Generate New Invoices" at the bottom of the webpage. On the next page, fill out your billing details in Step 1 -> Select the "Extended Copyediting" option in Step 2 -> Choose your method of payment in Step 3 and click on "Generate new invoice."
You will then be directed to the new invoice page where you can make the payment for the Extended Copyediting service.
Once the full payment is made, your paper will enter production. For any queries about this service, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.