What is it?
"Extended Copyediting" is our premium in-house copyediting service offered to authors in cases where manuscripts require more extensive copyediting for English language (e.g., manuscripts written by authors from non–English-speaking countries). With this service, our copyeditors perform more intensive copyediting on manuscripts to resolve all language issues and make a manuscript clear and readable to our audience.
In addition to extended copyediting, with this service, we will also verify and confirm all references for you in our proprietary RefCheck software, minimizing your effort in the production process while delivering a well-written end product that meets the journal standards.
Do I require Extended Copyediting?
During the peer-review stage, a reviewer or editor may make extra copyediting a condition for acceptance, in which case, authors can either
(1) have their manuscript copyedited elsewhere and provide an editing certificate as proof (within 7 calendar days), or
(2) agree to opt for the Extended Copyediting service offered by the journal, following which the manuscript will be accepted. The author is then required to pay for the Extended Copyediting service along with APF payment/checkout.
We also offer this service to all authors who wish to have more extensive editing done on their manuscript even if acceptance is not contingent on it. Extended Copyediting is especially meant to cater to manuscripts written by authors with English as a second language (ESL), as our copyeditors have extensive experience working with ESL authors and ensuring their intended meaning is conveyed accurately in every sentence of the manuscript. As such, we encourage authors to use this service, if suitable.
The main advantages of selecting our Extended Copyediting service over external language editing services are that
(1) your copyeditor will verify and confirm all references for you in our proprietary RefCheck software,
(2) your copyeditor will guarantee that the language of your manuscript meets the journal standards,
(3) the service fee is on par with the fee of external language editing services, and
(4) author effort is minimized in the production process while your copyeditor delivers a well-written end product.
Payment and processing
- To pay for Extended Copyediting along with the APF:
Payment for this service can be made by clicking into your APF invoice -> clicking "Modify items" -> changing the item number for "Extended Copyediting" to 1 (see related articles below for modifying invoice items). Following this, the amount for this Extended Copyediting service will be reflected in your APF invoice, and you can pay the total amount.
- To pay for Extended Copyediting after the APF is paid/waived/redeemed:
Log into your JMIR account and click on "Generate New Invoices" at the bottom of the webpage. On the next page, fill out your billing details in Step 1 -> Select the "Extended Copyediting" option in Step 2 -> Choose your method of payment in Step 3 and click on "Generate new invoice."
You will then be directed to the new invoice page where you can make the payment for the Extended Copyediting service.
Once the full payment is made, your paper will enter production. For any queries about this service, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.