|Effective July 2019, J Med Internet Res no longer charges any submission fees
(the Article Processing Fee in case of acceptance still applies, see Fee Schedule)
Yes, there are fees for most (but not all) JMIR journals and most (but not all) article types.
Most authors pay these costs from their grant funding, from the same funding envelope from which they would for example pay conference travel and fees. Some universities, institutions or departments have institutional membership arrangements with JMIR Publications, in which case the APF can be waived, for example faculty and students of the University of California (see APF Support for Corresponding Authors from the University of California). Other institutions may have institutional open access funds, for example the signatories of the Compact for Open Access Equity. (for details see also How are JMIR authors funding the publication costs?).
The general cost for publishing in our journals is the total of Article Processing Fee plus extra optional charges such as Fast-Track Fee and Knowledge Translation Add-Ons.
- Submission fees are no longer charged as of July 2019
- most JMIR journals have an Article Processing Fee (APF) (sometimes called Article Processing Charge or APC), payable only in case of acceptance
- for all JMIR journals, authors can expedite the peer-review and publishing process by paying an optional Fast-Track Fee (How to fast-track (expedite) a paper and what are the benefits? ).
- optionally, authors can add innovative Knowledge Translation Add-Ons to their cart when they check out (How can I order/pay for knowledge dissemination add-ons like TrendMD or sponsored Tweets?.
- Note: for papers accepted into the COVID-19 theme issue (or any paper related to the COVID-19 pandemic), we are unable to offer the sponsored tweet service. This is due to a restriction on promoted tweets regarding the pandemic and any information. The sponsored tweet option should not be selected during the payment process. We would instead recommend using our TrendMD manuscript promotion tool.
- Full fee schedule information for JMIR journals can be found by click on the Journal Information link in the banner, and choose "Fees, Memberships, and Partnerships" to access the information on Article Processing Fees (see screenshot below).
Exceptions (waived fees):
- sometimes JMIR may publish Theme Issues which are sponsored by third parties, in which case the APF does not apply. Please watch our announcements for calls for papers which specifically say that it is a sponsored theme issue.
- There is currently no fee for letters to the editor. However, such a letter must specifically critique or comment on a previous JMIR article. We do not publish "Research Letters" - these must be submitted as original (brief) articles and the APF applies (if the paper is short, there may be a discount)
- There is no fee for the article type Personal Perspectives if written by a patient
- If your research unit, department or university has set up an institutional membership with fee waivers with JMIR Publications, the APF/APC may be discounted or waived
- some (newer) JMIR journals may not have any fees
For more information on publishing without paying an APF see I don't have any grant money - how can I publish in JMIR?
Special Fees in Exceptional Cases for Additional Editorial Work
- Manuscript Reinstatement Fee - reinstating a previously withdrawn or lapsed/expired manuscript
- Excessive Proofreading Corrections - author requests a large number of corrections in the PDF galleys (see also What are your fees for "additional editorial/production work" and when are they applied?)
- Discretionary Corrigenda and Addenda (correction after publication)
- Excessively long paper (over 10,000 words), excluding supplementary files and Multimedia Appendices - $60/1000 words
- Extended Copyediting - $500
- Which journals is JMIR Publications currently publishing?
- How to become an author at JMIR
- Why is JMIR Publications a "leading publisher"?
- How can I order/pay for knowledge dissemination add-ons like TrendMD or sponsored Tweets?
- How to fast-track (expedite) a paper and what are the benefits?
- How does the Article Processing Fee (APF/APC) at JMIR compare to other journals/publishers?
- I don't have any grant money - how can I publish in JMIR?
- My grant funding is expiring/ending soon - can I pay the APF/APC before the article is accepted?
- JMIR Instructions for Authors: Open Access - Rationale for Charging Fees
- JMIR Fee Schedule on the JMIR website, listing APFs per journal
- Fees FAQ in JMIR Knowledge Base / Help Center