"This agreement between ourselves, JMIR, and Knowledge Unlatched brings the clear communication between technology, publishing, and institutions required to advance the library’s support for open access publishing."
Iowa State University Associate University Librarian for Scholarly Communications and Collections
JMIR Publications, Iowa State University, and Knowledge Unlatched have signed a new institutional membership agreement running from September 1, 2021, to August 31, 2023. Under this agreement, if the corresponding author of an article is affiliated with Iowa State University, the Article Processing Fee (APF) will be completely covered by Iowa State University's Open Access fund. The affiliation line of the corresponding author must list Iowa State University as the institution.
In order to be eligible for the funding, when your article is submitted please make sure that:
- you list Iowa State University as the corresponding author's affiliation in the article metadata,
- you select Iowa State University from the drop-down list of institutional members, and
- you mention "requesting APF coverage under the Iowa State University-JMIR agreement" in your cover letter when submitting your article.
When your article is accepted, JMIR will bill Iowa State University's billing partner Knowledge Unlatched, who will make the payment on behalf of Iowa State University. This is facilitated by Oable and the OA Switchboard (for more information, please see below). You do not need to apply for Open Access funding from Iowa State University.
Details of the Agreement
This is a full Open Access agreement. Iowa State University will cover the entire Article Processing Fee for any eligible paper. Iowa State University is exempt from our standard 7% handling fee and is protected from annual APF price increases for the length of the agreement. ISU is also invited to pilot ongoing and future initiatives, such as our Plan P publishing model.
This partnership will pilot the new Oable workflow management tool to monitor funds and administer Iowa State’s payments for eligible articles in the JMIR Publications portfolio. On behalf of Iowa State University, Oable receives structured metadata from publishers participating in OA Switchboard, via the standardized messaging protocol, sent to Iowa State University (streamlining the communication via this backend central information exchange hub). Oable also consolidates eligibility and approval checks on accepted articles with a partner institution’s corresponding author and facilitates the payment of their respective Article Processing Fee.
- Iowa State University, Knowledge Unlatched, and JMIR Publications Partner to Launch Open Access Fund Management System (Press Release)
- Open Access Agreements (on Iowa State University Library's website)
- Why should I consider an institutional membership?
- When can I process an article under an institutional membership so that the APF can be waived?
- What is an institutional membership and how can I create one?