JMIR Publications and Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg (FAU) have a contractual agreement. Under this agreement, if the submitting or corresponding author of an article is affiliated with FAU, FAU's Open Access funds may be able to pay up to €1500 of the Article Processing Fee (APF), provided that the authors cannot subsidize their APF with a third-party source of funding.
Any remainder of the APF above the maximum subsidy of €1500 will be paid by the authors. The APF must not exceed €2500 net (or €3000 including 19% VAT) if the authors want to apply for financial support via the FAU fund. FAU is exempt from our standard 7% handling fee.
In order to be eligible for the funding, when your article is submitted please make sure that:
- you list either Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg (FAU) or University of Erlangen–Nuremberg as the submitting or corresponding author's affiliation in the article metadata,
- you do not refer to the university clinic in the billing address (please use the format “Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg, Department for…”),
- you include "requesting APF coverage under the Nuremberg-JMIR agreement," in your cover letter when submitting your article, and
- you have applied for funding through FAU (see below).
For the detailed eligibility criteria, please see: FAU Publications Fund. Make sure you meet the eligibility criteria before you apply for funding using the respective FAU submission form for either the FAU article fund (non-DFG-backed articles) or the DFG article fund (DFG-backed articles).
For eligible papers, FAU will pay the invoice in full and then bill the authors any remaining amount above €1500.
An invoice cannot be split between the author and the library or any other parties. However, the FAU-JMIR agreement will ensure that your invoice can be rendered eligible with regards to FAU’s invoice cap.
FAU has a cap on APFs of €2500 net (€3000 including 19% VAT) applying to its FAU fund only – APF invoices submitted for coverage via the DFG fund are uncapped. If the invoice total exceeds this amount, it is not eligible for funding via the FAU fund.
If your article has been accepted or is likely to be accepted in a journal with an APF exceeding this amount and you would like to apply for funding via the FAU fund, JMIR will consider requests for one-time APF reductions; please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft-funded articles (DFG)
For DFG-funded articles, FAU may be able to contribute up to €1500 if there are no alternative publication funding sources available to the author or if any allocated publication budgets as part of your DFG project have been exhausted. Funding via the DFG fund is available irrespective of the APF amount, so FAU does not require JMIR to grant discounts for funding eligibility purposes. For eligibility criteria, please see here: DFG-Project Fund Articles.
- Detailed funding eligibility criteria on FAU's website
- Terms of the agreement on FAU's website (please scroll down to JMIR Publications)
- Submission form for FAU's Open Access Publications Fund