JMIR Publications and Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg (FAU) have a contractual agreement. Under this agreement, if the submitting or corresponding author of an article is affiliated with FAU, FAU's Open Access fund may be able to pay 75% of the Article Processing Fee (APF), provided that the authors cannot subsidize their APF with a third-party source of funding.
The remaining 25% of the APF will be paid by the authors. The APF must not exceed €1680 net (or €2000 including 19% VAT). FAU is exempt from our standard 7% handling fee.
In order to be eligible for the funding, when your article is submitted please make sure that:
- you list either Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg (FAU) or University of Erlangen–Nuremberg as the submitting or corresponding author's affiliation in the article metadata,
- you include "requesting APF coverage under the Nuremberg-JMIR agreement," in your cover letter when submitting your article, and
- you have applied for funding through FAU (see below).
For eligible papers, FAU will pay the invoice in full and then bill the authors for 25% of the APF (the author contribution fee).
An invoice cannot be split between the author and the library or any other parties.
FAU has a cap of €1680 net (€2000 including 19% VAT). If the invoice exceeds this amount, it is not eligible for FAU funding.
If your article has been accepted or is likely to be accepted in a journal with an APF exceeding this amount, JMIR will consider requests for one-time APF reductions; please contact email@example.com.
Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft-funded articles (DFG)
For DFG-funded articles, FAU may be able to contribute up to €1500 following a similar process to the one outlined above for non-funded articles. For eligibility criteria, please see here: DFG-Project Fund Articles. Note that JMIR Publications offers its own discount for DFG-funded articles (please see here for details).
- Detailed funding eligibility criteria on FAU's website
- Terms of the agreement on FAU's website (please scroll down to JMIR Publications)
- Submission form for FAU's Open Access Publications Fund