New and sponsored JMIR journals that, as of July 2022, are without publication fees ("platinum open access journals") are listed below. Some may not yet be in PubMed, but as soon as they are accepted, all articles will be indexed. You may have the opportunity to be one of the founding authors in the inaugural issues of these new journals!
This list is valid as of July 2022. Please cross-check with our Fee Schedule to see if there have been price increases since.
The following journals currently either have no Article Processing Fee (APF), or only charge for publication under certain circumstances:
- JMIR Bioinformatics and Biotechnology— no APF or submission fees.
- Journal of Participatory Medicine — This journal is in PubMed. Grant-funded research as well as research from institutions which have an institutional open access fund or other means of funding are subject to an APF of $1500, payable in case of acceptance. All other papers (including non-funded papers by patients etc) are published free of charge.
- JMIR Challenges — no APF or submission fees for solution seekers.
- Iproceedings — There is currently no submission fee or other costs involved for the abstract/extended abstract submission.
- JMIR Preprints — no APF or submission fees. After peer-review, the author can decide whether he or she wants to publish the paper in a partner journal (provided that the editor offers publication), which may or may not have its own APF. The author can also instead "publish" it on JMIR Preprints, which involves assignment of a DOI.
- JMIR Dermatology — no APF or submission fees.
Please only submit your paper to these journals if they fit their scope. If you don't have funding and your paper does not fit the scope of any of the journals above, please consider other options as described in the article I don't have any grant money - how can I publish in JMIR?
- Are there costs involved when publishing at JMIR?
- How does the Article Processing Fee (APF/APC) at JMIR compare to other journals/publishers?
- I don't have any grant money - how can I publish in JMIR?
- JMIR Instructions for Authors: Open Access - Rationale for Charging Fees
- JMIR Fee Schedule
- Which journals is JMIR Publications currently publishing?