General rules and guidelines
- An institutional membership should be set up and must be paid for before an article is submitted
- When you submit a paper, there is a drop-down list of institutional members - select the one the corresponding author is affiliated with. See I am affiliated with an institution/department which is an institutional member. How do I indicate this and how do I request an APF fee waiver when I submit? (Note that for University of California authors, this step is not required, as we detect their membership from the email address pattern, see below).
- Note that the editor or a JMIR staff member will manually check if the corresponding author is in fact from the institutional member, and whether the address (down to the department / research unit level) matches the one of the institutional member. If this is not the case, the APF/APC waiver may not be granted. This is of course to protect our existing members from unauthorized individuals drawing on membership credits
- an institutional membership only covers the APF/APC in case of acceptance. If the journal you are submitting to has a submission fee, this fee is not waived (see also My institution is an institutional JMIR member. Do I still have to pay the submission fee?) (Note: as of 2019, no journal has any submission fees anymore)
- The discount/waiver is valid even if the paper is transferred to another journal, as long as the original submission date (not: transfer date) falls into the membership period
- If your manuscript has been accepted and still contains a payment request, and you are certain that the membership should have been applied, please get in touch with the editor assigned to your manuscript, either by clicking on the envelope icon next to the editor's name in the submission summary page, or by sending an email to email@example.com.
Special notes for UC authors (University of California campuses)
Instead of selecting your institution from a drop-down list, we will automatically detect eligibility and will - on acceptance - automatically discount APFs by $1000. For a full APF waiver please see APF Support for Corresponding Authors from the University of California
- What is an institutional membership and how can I create one?
- How can I find out if my organization is already an institutional member?
- I am affiliated with an institution/department which is an institutional member. How do I indicate this and how do I request an APF fee waiver when I submit?