The JMIR RefCheck process during copyediting extracts all cited references from the manuscript file, matches it against various databases, and corrects them if necessary. Sometimes, authors may need to manually supply additional information or correct the references.
Red dash - "Not found or saved":
- Authors need to fix and save these references in RefCheck in Step 2b before proceeding.
If a reference contains a PMID/DOI/ISBN in the original Word document but a red minus sign is displayed beside it in RefCheck, check that the ID is correct and in the correct format; then, add the ID into RefCheck, click on "Lookup reference..." to auto-populate the fields, and click “Save.”
If the reference does not have a digital ID, manually enter and save the details of the reference in each of the mandatory fields.
Yellow magnifying glass icon - "Found in Medline":
- These references are usually correct and do not require any author action.
- Authors may review the reference if the details are improperly filled, and click "Save." If they do not, the copyeditor will do so for them in Step 3 of copyediting.
Gray magnifying glass icon - "Found in Crossref":
- These references could not be found in Medline and were found in Crossref as a secondary database.
- Since Crossref provides us with limited information (source, volume, issue, first page, and year), manual addition of information and confirmation of the reference is required. Authors may review the reference if the details are improperly filled, and click "Save." If they do not, the copyeditor will do so for them in Step 3 of copyediting.
- Of note, the source (journal name) provided by Crossref is not in abbreviated form and this needs to be corrected to the abbreviated journal name during copyediting.
- To avoid manually abbreviating the journal name, you can simply click on "Lookup reference..." beside the DOI field, which will auto-populate the PMID if one is available. If you then click on "Lookup reference..." beside the PMID, all details of the reference including the journal name will be correctly reflected (abbreviated) in the required fields.
Pink magnifying glass icon - "Found by ISBN":
- The ISBN for the book has been found in the database at http://isbndb.com/.
- In the case of book chapter references, the title, first page, and last page fields will need to be manually entered and/or confirmed during copyediting.
Blue magnifying glass icon - "Found in the WebCite Database":
- Web reference (webpage or online PDF document) found in the Webcite Database using the Webcite ID parsed from the reference and the URL. Some details may be auto-populated.
- Manual confirmation of all fields is required during copyediting.
Blue pencil - Author/Copyeditor Comments:
- This indicates that the author (dark blue pencil) or the copyeditor (light blue pencil) has left a comment specific to a particular reference in RefCheck.
- Review the comment that was made on the reference and take the appropriate action. This is crucial, as an author may request to delete a reference using this comment function or a copyeditor may request for additional information about a reference here.
Green check mark:
- This icon indicates that the reference has been reviewed and its details have been confirmed by the author and/or copyeditor. No further action is required for these references.