Scopus is owned by Elsevier and journal titles that are not owned by Elsevier are often not indexed in a timely manner. For example, it took Elsevier 5 years to finally include JMIR mHealth and uHealth in Scopus in 2018, after a series of unqualified reviews that for example state that the journal was not cited enough (in reality, it is top ranked by impact factor, and cited more than all other journals in the same category). Similarly, JMIR Serious Games was applied for in 2014 and rejected in 2017 for alleged "lack of citations", while at the same time we received a Impact Factor from Clarivate of 2.2 for 2017 and 3.351 for 2018, which clearly shows that the journal is well cited. Similarly, it took 7 years for Scopus to decide to index JMIR Res Protoc as well as JMIR Mental Health, and most other JMIR journals are still not included.
As a result of these clear biases and delays to index innovative journals, we discourage authors and research users to use Scopus or any journal quality metrics derived from Scopus (Citescore, Scimago SJR, SNIP) as a proxy for journal quality. Also, we are not recommending their products for scientific work such as systematic reviews because of their significant lag time in covering journals especially in the health technology field (only 4 out of 30 JMIR journals are indexed in Scopus!). JMIR authors of systematic reviews are advised that solely relying on Scopus as bibliographic database will overlook a significant proportion of the literature (Pubmed should always be included!).
Currently indexed by Scopus are:
- Journal of Medical Internet Research
- JMIR mHealth and uHealth (announced July 1st, 2018)
- JMIR Research Protocols (approved October 9, 2019)
- JMIR Human Factors (approved Jan 11, 2020)
- JMIR Mental Health (approved March 1, 2020)
Other JMIR journals are still "under evaluation".
Scopus Title Suggestions
Elsevier is solely responsible for the content selection policy of Scopus and its' interpretation
- Please direct any further complaints about non-coverage of some JMIR journals and other inquiries to email@example.com.
- We encourage users to fill in the title suggestion form at https://suggestor.step.scopus.com/suggestTitle/step3.cfm.
- Please note that the publisher name is "JMIR Publications" (Canada).
- The journal ISSN can be found at the bottom of the journal homepage
Internal link for staff only: