Note on terminology:
- The submitting user is the user who can login into the manuscript homepage and see and respond to all communications.
- The corresponding author appears in the manuscript as "Corresponding Author" and is indicated in the metadata form as such (there is a radio button to select one of the authors as corresponding author in the metadata form).
- The corresponding author may or may not be identical with the submitting user. In other words, it is entirely possible to publish a manuscript where the published corresponding author is not the submitting author (the submitting user doesn't even have to be an author), and vice versa.
To change the roles between authors:
- To change the corresponding author (what shows up in the published article), edit the metadata form (there is a radio button to select one of the authors as corresponding author in the metadata form) - see also Change your author details before publication.
- To change the submitting user (who can see and edit the submission), read How to change the submitting author, i.e. hand over the manuscript to a co-author for further editing and communication with the editorial office?