As an author you can use your author homepage to reupload a revised manuscript based on comments made by the editor and reviewers. In addition to the revised manuscript, you must also provide a numbered point-by-point response to the reviewer's comments, as well as the title, abstract, and keywords for the manuscript.
This article contains the following:
- How to prepare your revised manuscript and respond to editor/reviewer comments.
- How to upload your revised manuscript.
- How to determine the deadline for your revised manuscript/response (and what to do if the deadline has passed).
- What to do if you did not receive the email with editor/reviewer comments.
Prepare Your Manuscript
Before you resubmit, make sure you have revised your manuscript based on the comments made by the editor/reviewers. Please prepare your manuscript and response offline using a text editor (such as Word). Do not use any text formatting.
Do not forget to revise the manuscript to address the issues raised by reviewers. For example, if the reviewer asked when the study was conducted, you must respond to the reviewer and make the change in the manuscript itself.
We also recommend you prepare a separate version of the manuscript with tracked changes turned on. This can be uploaded as a supplementary file along with the clean version of the manuscript.
Prepare Response to Editors/Reviewers
With your revised manuscript you are required to submit a numbered "point-by-point" response to all the editor and reviewer concerns/queries raised.
While a response is required for each point, it is neither necessary nor expected to change the manuscript in response to every point if authors disagree with the reviewer. The editor makes the final decision, not the reviewers.
Format a Response
Number your responses and make sure each response is associated with a specific reviewer.
For example, if you have 3 items mentioned by reviewer "A", mark your responses with A1, A2, and A3.
In each item, first quote the editor/reviewer, then write a response. Please indicate that it is a response by beginning with the text: "RESPONSE: ...".
Unable to Address Reviewer Comments
If you are unable or unwilling to address any of the comments, please state the reason why in your point-by-point response to the comments (ie "Change was not made because..."). If the reviewer and author differ, it is the role of the editor to adjudicate.
Resubmit a Revised Manuscript
Once you have revised your manuscript and prepared your response to the reviewer comments, you can now resubmit the revised manuscript.
To resubmit a revised manuscript:
- Navigate to your author homepage.
- Select awaiting author revision in the Status column for the manuscript you are resubmitting.
- Upload all new supplementary material such as figures, appendices, etc. This is only required if the supplementary files have changed since they were last uploaded.
Note: We recommend that you also upload a version of the manuscript with tracked changes turned on as a supplementary file.
In the section labelled 4. UPLOAD MANUSCRIPT, upload your clean (no tracked changes) revised manuscript.
Please make sure the file is either a .doc or .docx Word file. We cannot accept PDF, LaTeX, or PAGES files.
Copy & paste your numbered point-by-point response to editorial and reviewer comments into the box labelled Respond to editorial and peer review comments.
- Insert your title, abstract, and keywords based on editor feedback.
- Once you are finished, select Submit.
After submitting your revision, please make sure we received it by looking for a confirmation email and verifying that the status has changed from "Awaiting revision" to "In review" on your author homepage.
You can learn more at: Did you receive our manuscript or manuscript revision?
Contact Editor with No Manuscript
It is possible to only send a message to the editor without uploading a new manuscript.
To do so, navigate to the page where you upload the manuscript and scroll down to 5. CONTACT EDITOR (see also I would like to send a message to the editor about my paper (already submitted).)
Once there, select Contact Editor to send a message to the editor for your manuscript.
Please do not send another message if you just uploaded a manuscript that included a message for the editor.
There is a deadline to submit the manuscript revision. The length of the deadline depends on the reviewer decision for the manuscript:
- Decision B= 2 week deadline
- Decision C or D = 8 week deadline
It is still technically possible to submit your revision after the deadline. If the deadline is missed and we don't hear from you at all, then we may at some point remove the manuscript from the submission queue. In this case the manuscript won't be listed under "Active" anymore, and will have been moved to "Archive". It is still possible to reinstate the manuscript as Active for a nominal Manuscript Reinstatement Fee.
If you believe you will be unable to make the deadline, or have missed the deadline, please contact us for a deadline extension. For the process to request a deadline extension see I am an author working on my revision in response to the reviewers and I would like an extension for submitting my revised manuscript and responses to reviewers.
Did Not Receive Editorial/Peer-Review Email
If you did not receive an email with editorial/peer-review comments, please check your spam filter for the email.
You can also review the editor/author correspondence online on your author homepage.
To review the editor/author correspondence:
- Navigate to your author homepage.
- Select the Status link for your paper.
- Select Editor/Author Email Record at the bottom of the review tab, (see also I am an author - where can I find the past reviewer comments?).
- Did you receive our manuscript or manuscript revision?
- What happens after I submitted a revised version and my responses to reviewer comments?
- What is the status of my submission?
- I can't find my submitted manuscript?
- We have submitted a revised manuscript. However, we have not received a confirmation that the manuscript was received.
- I am an author working on my revision in response to the reviewers and I would like an extension for submitting my revised manuscript and responses to reviewers.
- I am an author - where can I find the past reviewer comments?
- As a reviewer, where do I find other reviewer comments and the authors' responses to the previous reviewer comments?