Papers accepted to JMIR Research Protocols can be copyedited, typeset, and proofread using one of two platforms. Our original process is listed here: https://support.jmir.org/hc/en-us/articles/115001493827-What-should-the-author-do-when-proofreading-the-final-galleys-. The alternate process is through the Transforma platform.
Authors of papers that go through the alternate (Transforma) process will be contacted by Transforma regarding their manuscript proofs. This guide will provide you with detailed instructions for proofreading your manuscript using this alternate (Transforma) process.
After your paper has been copyedited and typeset by Transforma (our alternate production vendor), you will receive an email with a website URL for you to proofread your manuscript:
Please use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox browser to open this URL, as this platform is currently not compatible with Safari.
Once you open this URL, you will land on the introductory webpage:
Click on “Enter” to land on the main Transforma webpage that will let you choose your mode of proofreading. You will see two options in on this landing page—“Offline” and “Online”:
You can choose your preferred mode of proofreading by clicking on the relevant blue box. In the “Online” mode, all changes will be made and saved online. If you do not have enough internet access to complete the entire process online, you can choose the “Offline” mode, to make your changes offline. We have explained the workflow through each of these modes below:
- The Offline option:
- If you click on the “Offline” button on the left, a PDF version of the manuscript will download onto your desktop. You can also manually download the PDF by clicking on the “Download Proof PDF” button.
- Please proceed to mark up any corrections on this PDF using Adobe Reader (link for the free version provided in the email you received).
- Please carry out a thorough proofread of the paper. For further proofreading instructions, please see: https://jmir.zendesk.com/knowledge/articles/360037595592/en-us?brand_id=1109147&return_to=%2Fhc%2Fen-us%2Farticles%2F360037595592.
- If you have made no corrections to the PDF, please check the “No Corrections” box. Please note, checking this option implies that the author(s) agrees to the following statement:
"I and my coauthors carefully read the proofs, including author names/initials and affiliations, the tables, and checked the references, and have no corrections. I understand that after publication, even though JMIR is an electronic journal, no changes can be made without publishing an erratum, which may be subject to additional author charges."
- If you would like to provide revised files (ie, Figures and Tables), please compress (zip) the files with the PDF manuscript file. Once you finish proofreading, please upload the PDF file to your manuscript’s e-proofing webpage using the “Browse” option.
- To complete the proofing process, click “Submit Proof.”
- You will be redirected to a feedback webpage, where you can rate the quality of copyediting and typesetting (proofing).
- The “Online” option:
- If you click on the Online button, you will be taken to the e-proofing webpage:
- Here, you will see three sections: Tasks (left), Proof Editing Page (center), and PDF (right).
This section contains 3 tabs:
- Queries: This tab lists all comments/queries that the copyediting/typesetting team has raised for the author. These queries are itemized in order of appearance in the manuscript (Proof Editing Page and PDF). Clicking on a query will link you to the relevant location of the query in the Proof Editing Section and PDF section. To reply to a query, click the “Reply” button. Type in your reply and then click “Save.” Even if you have saved a query response, you will be able to edit it before submitting the proof. All queries must be addressed/replied to before you submit the proof.
2. Corrections: Any corrections you make within the Proof Editing Page section will be listed in the Tasks section under the “Corrections” tab. Clicking on each correction will direct you to the location of the correction in the Proof Editing Page section.
3. Insert: Authors can use this tab to upload any revised/replacement files (ie, Figures and Tables). Click on the “Insert” icon and select the file you want to upload from your computer.
Proof Editing Page (center):
- To make any changes to the manuscript text, you can directly edit the content in the Proof Editing Page section. This mark-up process is similar to how you would use Track Changes in Microsoft Word documents. Any changes in the text will be marked in a different color. Deleted text will appear with a grey line in the middle. Addition of text will be marked with red font.
- After making any changes, click “File” → “Save” (note: Automatic saving occurs every 1 minute)
- Throughout the Proof Editing Page section, you will see query icons listed in blue. These queries correspond to this listed in the “Task” section, so that you can easily locate the relevant query in the “Task” section and reply to it.
- If you would like to make changes to the layout of the proof, please add a “General Note” on the Proof Editing Page section:
PDF section (right):
- This section gives you an overview of what your final published paper will look like.
- Throughout the PDF section, you will see query icons listed in red (enclosed in brackets). Clicking on a query icon in this PDF section will take you to the Author Query Form located at the bottom of the PDF. These queries can also be found in the Tasks section, under the tab “Queries.”
- Along the top of the e-proofing webpage, you will find several options given in blue boxes:
- Generate Track PDF: This option will download a version of the PDF with all tracked changes marked. Please note when submitting your proof corrections, the final version of this file will automatically be emailed to you.
- Figures and Tables: This option will download a file containing all your figures and tables for closer inspection.
- Download Proof PDF: This option will download a copy of the PDF proof, which is displayed in the PDF section of the website.
- Download Multimedia Files: This option will download a copy of all multimedia appendices. These should be checked by authors to ensure that they are presented correctly.
- Logout: This option will let you logout of the proofing platform. Your changes made to the proof will be saved when you log out, so that you can resume your checks at a later time. To resume proofreading, please use the link from the initial proofreading request email you received.
- Submit: Once all queries have been responded to and you have marked up any additional change requests, you can submit the proof using this option.
Once you submit the proof, you will be redirected to a feedback webpage, where you can rate the quality of copyediting and typesetting (proofing):
Following completion of the proofreading process, you will receive an email to confirm that the proof response is received.
Should you have any queries regarding this process, you can contact us via our JMIR Helpdesk: https://support.jmir.org/hc/en-us/articles/115001385368-How-can-I-contact-staff-or-editors-at-JMIR-Publications-.